The Water Ban has increased to a ban all nonessential outdoor water use:
Nonessential outdoor water uses that are subject to these mandatory restrictions include:
- The use of in-ground irrigation systems.
- Hand held hoses only are allowed from 5:00 PM until 9:00 AM for watering gardens or plants.
- The washing of vehicles (cars, boats, motorcycles) except in a commercial car wash or as necessary for safe operation.
- The washing of building surfaces, parking lots, sidewalks except as necessary to apply surface treatments such as paint, stain, stucco or cement.
- The filling of pools, hot tubs or fish ponds.
A more detailed description can be found on the Town’s web page https://www.scituatema.gov/home/urgent-alerts/banner
Why does the Town impose these water bans?
The Town imposes these water bans to manage the amount of water we have available to residents for drinking, bathing and in case of a fire. The hot and humid weather and lack of rain has caused the Town to be dependent on the treatment plant and the reservoir to supplement our well’s output to keep up with the Town’s demand. In the summer the demand is much greater than the winter and usage can more than double. As the level of the reservoir decreases the Town imposes tighter restrictions to maintain our water supply.