Hours of Operation
Tuesday: 8:30 am to 7:30 pm
Friday: 8:30 am to 11:45 am
Duties & Responsibilities
- Conducts the annual town census.
- Prepares the street list of residents and the school list.
- Furnishes the jury list to the Office of the Jury Commissioner.
- Oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections.
- Directs preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment and voting lists.
- Administers campaign finance laws.
- Certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions.
- Serves on the local Board of Registrars.
- Supervises voter registration and absentee ballots.
- Prepares, records and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
- Issues state licenses and permits, including:
- Marriage licenses
- Permits for raffles and bazaars
Issues local licenses, permits, and certificates as mandated by statute or bylaw, which include:
- Business certificates
- Clam Licenses
- Dog Licenses
- Fuel storage permits
Local Boards and Committees
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local boards and committees.
- Ensures that all elected and appointed officials are informed in writing of the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws.
- Posts meetings notices of all government bodies.
Official Decisions and Duties
Records and certifies all official actions of the Town, including:
- Town Meeting legislation and appropriations
- Planning Board and Zoning Board decisions
- Certifies all notes for borrowing.
- As the official Keeper of the Records for the Town of Scituate the Town Clerk is the keeper of the Town Seal.
- Provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law, corresponding regulations and Town Bylaws.
- Certifies copies of all town records.
- Records and preserves original birth, marriage, and death records, providing the basis for the Commonwealth's central vital registration system.
- Provides certified copies of vital records and conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public.
- Is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Maintains records of adopted municipal codes, general bylaws and zoning bylaws, resignations, appointments, petitions, publications, budgets, election results and town meeting minutes and financial statements.
- Submits general bylaws and zoning bylaws to Attorney General for approval.
- Maintains the Annual List of Residents.
|Kathleen A. Curran||Town Clerk||781-545-8743|
- Business Certificate
- Campaign Finance
- Dog Licenses
- Elections & Voting
- For Purchase at Town Hall
- Fuel Storage Permits
- General Bylaws
- Links for Board Members
- Open Meeting and Ethics Law
- Public Records Request Form
- Raffles & Bazaars
- Shellfish Regulations & License
- Town Charter
- Town Meeting
- Town Meeting Warrants
- Town Seal
- Vital Records: Birth, Marriage, Death
- Zoning ByLaws
- Zoning Map