- Scituate History with Bob Jackman. Wednesdays, 1-2:30 pm.
► Nov 6 -- Dec 18. West End History at the Merritt Cemetery will be a series of classes about Scituate's West End concentrating of the lives of residents who were buried in the Merritt Cemetery located off Clapp Road. The name Merritt would imply that residents interred there were all Merritt's but that was not the case, and one famous doctor was actually a native of Germany. Tuition $20.
Expressive Writing Thursdays @ 11:30 AM. NO FEE! Facilitator Liz Ennis and students keep coming back for another session of this fulfilling expressive writing class. No writing experience necessary. We don’t care about grammar! Why not try this activity to encourage expression! Sharing, storytelling and connection in a casual and welcoming environment. Great activity for cultivating mindfulness, gratitude and joy!
- NEW Personal Writing Group with Robine Andrau, Tuesdays @ 1 pm
Bring your stories to life in an informal workshop-style format.
- Painting Classes – Monday at 12:30-3:30 PM & Thursday at 4:00-7:00 PM. Ongoing at Senior Center. $10 class. Still life arrangements, demos, exercises, drawing skills, understanding color, mixing and watercolor application. Talented & long-time Instructor Joanne Papandrea. Supply list available. No class on 2nd Thursday of the month. Call for details .
- Ukulele Class: Beyond Beginners: Fridays 11:00 am. Oct. 18- Nov 15 (5 weeks).Cost $25 . Please call to sign up , 781-545-8722.
- "No Rules" Book Club Dec 18, 10:30-12 noon. December Title: The Last Christmas in Paris A novel about WWI by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb. Call the Senior Center to learn details.
- Knitting Social: Every Thursday at 1:00 pm join this engaging group of ladies at the Senior Center to knit and get ideas and suggestions for knitting projects. There is no charge and usually there is a quantity of yarn that has been donated to the Senior Center.
- Mah Jong Tuesday @ 10:30-12:00 pm at the Senior Center. This popular and lively game involves calculation and a little luck! Volunteer-led instruction. It is good for the brain and the smiles! Game tiles provided.
- Scrabble Tuesday @ 1:00-2:30 pm at the Senior Center . This group needs some new faces.
- Tech Time Wednesday 3:00-4:00 pm with S.H.S. students
Sign up to get 1-on-1 assistance with iPad or mobile/Smart phones. The Interact Club is a service-oriented club for SHS students in grades 9-12, experienced and ready to help.
- Early Thanksgiving Luncheon courtesy of The River Club on Sunday, November 17 at 1:30 pm at The River Club. Music by the Play It Again band. Sign up with the Senior Center – reservations required. No charge.
- Cafe Talks Sign-up for Cafe Talks is strongly encouraged, at 781-545-8722. Changes or cancellations will be sent to those signed up! Make sure we have your current phone number and email address at the office.
- NEW Art Appreciation Series "Art for Your Mind" presentations by Jill Sanford. Second Wednesday at 11 am. ► Nov 13 Three Wyeths. A look at three generations of artists of the famous Wyeth family. N.C.’s oil paintings of American leaders and heroes, Andrew’s unique landscapes, and Jamie’s imaginative images — all come together to reveal an interesting progression of American creativity. Join us for an enjoyable hour of challenging yourself to see in new ways. ► Dec 11 A Look at Ancient Greece. An overview of the amazing innovations in Ancient Greek architecture, pottery and sculpture — which forever changed the world of art. Focusing on Greece’s famous Classical period, we’ll make surprising connections with our own modern culture and with ancient Rome. Join us for an enjoyable hour of challenging yourself to see in new ways!
- Men's Breakfast – Tuesdays at 9:00 am. ►Sept 10: South Africa. Laura Isbrandt is a Scituate resident who has been living abroad since the late 90s. She will be talking about what it is like to live in Cape Town and what some of the differences and similarities are to life in the US. Get ready to ask questions about life at the southern tip of Africa on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Held at the Senior Center. December Men’s Breakfast to be determined. Come and connect – socializing is a key to good health, as well as starting the day with a delicious breakfast and some interesting topics for discussion.
- Dine Out “Lunch & Dinner Club” Dinner reservation at 5 PM. Call for Reservation, Departs approx. 4:15 PM. Van ride $3.00
► Sept 25 – Carmela's Restaurant, Kingston, MA
► Oct 23 -- Tinker's Son, Norwell, MA
- Friday Flix Fridays at 12:30. Surround Sound, English Subtitles, 65” Flat Screen TV. Snacks and popcorn always served. Award Winning Movies! We want to see you! Get out, meet a friend or make a new friend, and enjoy a MOVIE! Stop by to get details on each movie. Some weeks we may have a lunch offering you can purchase.
► Nov 8 – Flag of Our Fathers
► Nov 22– Won't You be My Neighbor?
► Dec 13 – The Art of Racing in the Rain
► Dec 27 – Viewer's Choice- MAKE A REQUEST!